Saturday, December 17, 2011

Garden 2012: What I would like to try to grow

I just ordered my 2012 Burpee seed catalog last Sunday and I have been anxiously awaiting its arrival all week even though it will probably come closer to the end of the month.  Even though their catalog is available to view on their website, it just isn't the same as getting to hold a paper catalog that you have to physically turn the pages with your hands rather than click on an arrow icon to make a digital picture change.  Plus, I like to put stars next the the items that I am interested in!

That brings me to this posting's topic: what I am planning to try to grow for 2012.  I have never been a huge fan of following the advice that I should only stick to plants that are bred to grow in my climate.  To me, that is just plain boring and unadventurous.  I already know that I can successfully grow large heirloom tomatoes in cool Western Washington, so why not try something else that "they" say I can't grow? 


Chili peppers!  Don't they look exciting!
 So, in 2012, I am going to try to grow chili peppers!  And yes, I know, they need heat to produce hot chilies, but I am prepared to try my best.  And even if I am only able to produce one pepper that is still green by the end of summer, I will still consider that a success!  I am thinking of trying a mixed seed packet that is offered by Thompson and Morgan that contains chilies that are red, yellow, and orange, as I like variety and different colors.  Rather than grow them directly in the garden, I am planning on keeping them in containers and having them grow on my back deck where they will receive lots of sunlight and a lot of heat that radiates off the back of the house.  I will also place black plastic around the containers and will figure out some other methods along the way. 

I also plan on trying potatoes.  I grew potatoes long ago in Kenmore, WA and had a dissapointing experience as all of my potatoes ended up getting infested with some sort of grub that bored holes and made the tubers inedible.  I am hoping the garden soil here at my rental in Elma, WA does not harbor these pests.  I will find out one way or another.

I have also been toying with the idea of growing some sort of winter squash as well.  The issue with this is that I really don't know what to do with the squash after I harvest it!  I guess I will just need to do some extensive research on recipes that use squash that I will find appetizing enough not to waste what I have grown and produced.  I am aware of all of the soups, pies, and other caserole-type dishes that most people prepare during the fall and winter months that call for winter squash, it's just that I've eaten that stuff all my life and would like to use it differently or...maybe with chilies mixed in?!  Anyway, I've got time to decide on what to do.

As far as other vegetables, I will continue to grow tomatoes, carrots, lettuces, and retry bell peppers and corn.  I may also grow cucumbers and some sort of bean.  Very exciting stuff!

Next post:  Pre-spring preparations.

1 comment:

  1. I can't wait to see how the chili peppers do!

    ReplyDelete